Spindle and Flyer Makers
The United Operative Spindle and Flyer Makers’ Trade and Friendly Society was founded in 1856 and was one of the longest surviving Unions making textile machines and fittings.
In 1860 the Union applied to join the Amalgamated Society of Engineers but was refused on the grounds that its members were not skilled tradesmen.
The Union developed independently and reached a membership of 1,300 by the turn of the century.
Membership steadily declined after the Two World Wars until amalgamation with the Amalgamated Engineering Union when membership numbered around 200 in June 1962.